Apple Cranberry Muffins
4 Tbs Butter or Margarine
1/2 C Sugar
graded rind of one lg orange
1 C flour (white or wheat)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tes ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1 C cranberries
1/2 C walnuts, chopped
confectioner's sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or use paper liners
- Melt the butter or margarine over gentle heat. Set aside to cool.
- Place the egg in a mixing bowl and whisk lightly. Add melted butter and whisk to combine.
- Add the sugar, orange rind, and juice. Whisk to blend, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift togerther the flour,baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, and salt. Set aside.
- Quarter, core and peel the apples (I use an Apple Peeler ), chop in a coarse dice to obtain 1 1/4 cups.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture. With a spoon, stir until just blended.
- Add the apples, cranberries, and walnuts and stir to blend.
- Fill cups three-quarters full and bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 25-30 mins. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar, if desired.