Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Great Flood of 2010

When I was little the big weather events that I remember are the
Blizzard of 78 (OK I don't remember that one, I was only 2! but I have heard stories and seen pictures), hurricane Gloria and the No-Name storm. I was just a kid but they were exciting times. The grownups were all flustered and nervous. School was canceled, the sky's were grey and windy, the ocean was BIG! During the storms we lost power and lit candles etc....the days were not busy with errands,school and work...everyone was home and stranded! For me this was FUN!

Last week New England had a great flood...some a 100 year flood, some a 500 year flood! Some areas were devastated! Houses destroyed, cars underwater, even the RI mall was flooded! When we built our house in MA we had to work with the local conservation lady, who was very passionate about her job and the environment (which is great!) but, there were a lot of guide lines we had to follow...one being NO basement and we had to build a FLOW-THRU foundation incase we got a 100 year flood! "There has never been water down to our house before!" (We live near a lake), OK so I have to say this

"Thank you Jennifer the conservation lady!"

If we had a basement it would have flooded! Instead we only had to deal with a pond in our front yard. Everyone I know with a basement got flooded. Rugs, shelves, washers, driers, boilers, RUINED! I feel so bad for all my friends, family and neighbors who had to deal with this invasion of water!

As for my kids.....This was their weather memory....

They watched as a pond formed in the front yard and grew, they had a blast canoing in the front yard! We drove around and saw how the water turned our neighbors houses into islands and streets into rivers. They really enjoyed it!

What it is like to be a child during a disaster! It is to bad childhood only last for 18 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment